Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Project "Kestrel" - The beginning. (Caprica-'verse Ha'la'tha VTOL)

Project has a name: Project Kestrel. I like the sound.  Again, staying wit the theme of a resistance-use aircraft, I actually have to put a bit more thought into the equipment maintenance and battle strategies. From what I understand, the Ha'la'tha forces had a decent run early but were overwhelmed by superior equipment, manpower and resources. However, they had to have some kind of infrastructure to start with, and working with smaller, more agile and flexible hardware would have been a good strategy.
So, the Caprica VTOL design is big, powerful and state of the art in appearance, compared to our early designs of Huey or Chickasaw. Essentially a merge of a jet-powered Osprey and the Blackhawk, the designers didn't try hard to hide the Blackhawks lines, so I'm not going to bother with it either. I'm going take the EC145 and work along similar design concepts.


I'm liking the upward bent gull wings with tip-mounted engines. The one thing I need to figure out is the tail.. the narrow beam looks "meh" to me. But, because I want to keep the doors, I have to figure something out. Either a twin tail boom extending off the rear of the fuselage or something wider and more robust looking. Not sure yet. We'll see. I do want to keep that rear-opening door. That allows the design to be variable like the 145, troop transport, special assignment, med-evac.. etc.

The engines will be a bit tricksy. I have a few ideas.. but there's a trick to the V-22: Fuel and control delivery. That was conveniently skipped in "Caprica" if you look at the images, but I will have to account for it on my design. (Engineer brain again.) but the Osprey hub solved that problem, I can simulate a similar resolution.
More to come. : )

No comments: