Monday, January 1, 2018

Custom Build - 1a Ha'la'tha Resistance Jet fighter

New Direction:  Not "Caprica" fighter - "Tauron" air superiority fighter, from the Ha'la'tha Civil war.   I always have been one for the fluff and story and it gives a good story behind the compact and nimble fighter.  It also lets me use more of the Spitfire details, as the Ha'la'tha are resistance fighters.  Even though Tauron is the seat of some of the most advanced technology in the colonies, it makes sense  that resistance equipment would be more cobbled together and raw.




Looking at the pieces and parts, I'm fairly comfortable that the 1/32 Spitfire and the 1/48 Phantom will work together as a basis.   Because I always do, I did a quick unboxing of both the Spitfire and the Phantom separately, but then got the parts together and started fiddling.

Video links are below.

Looking at the overall size and dimensions, the all-up build should come in approximately the same size as the 1/32 Moebius Mk II.  Of course, this just makes me want to do Husker's build as well, but that can wait. 

I'm still on the fence about the wings and upper stabilizer(s).  Sweeping the wings forward is probably the way to go, even though the engineer in me is going to balk at it.  Then again, it balks at the wings being all the way at the back of the craft anyway.  The forward sweep gives it a sci-fi look  and that works.  The other question is the vertical stabilizer.  I can go with the single vertical one, or use the Phantom's tail fins at about 15 deg off the vertical on either side.  I can't quite visualize it enough off the top of my head, so I'm not sure which look is better.  The one thing I want to avoid is the "batmobile" look, but the twin stabilizers  would also give a pretty cool look, I think, especially as I'm planning to droop the main wings at about 10-15 degrees off the horizontal.

And then there's the cockpit.  I'll build up the tub for the Spitfire, as it fits in the fuselage, but I expect to pull the instrument panels and the like from the Phantom and a few other bits and bobs.  I've also got a resin pilot/ejector seat combo that I'll use as well.  The frustrating thing about the cockpit is the need to completely build and paint it up before I can get any real work on the front fuselage.  It needs to be in before I put everything together and then from there, I have to figure out the landing gear concepts. 

I'm also still on the fence about those front radiator  holes.  Currently, I'm of a mind to put extending cannons in them, with a door flap/cover. 

New Years day is here, and with that comes the actual get-your-hands dirty start! : ) 




No comments: