Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Project A. With Pixez

So. Now with Pix. 

Keep in mind, this is the "rough, still working on it, etc..etc.." stage, so do bear with me. 

The initial sculpt of the foot seemed to be ok, and while I could see some imperfections, they didn't seem to be too bad.  Now that I look at the closeup images, it's much more obvious.




Yeah, then I cast it.  Like I said yesterday, I didn't make absolutely certain that the foot was flush with the base of the mold cylinder, so it was slightly off true.  That meant it cast up in such a way that would mean a lot of sanding of the base. 









However, that wasn't the worst of it, since all those imperfections were really magnified by the casting.  I LOVE this mold/casting material.  All the nice detail comes out crisp and clear.  Even the guitar-wire details looked good, but the supposedly "flat armor surfaces" didn't because..well...they weren't.  So, putty, sanding and filling time. 

Moving on to the joint, I still think the best place for the knee is at the upper-shin spot.  It seems to give decent articulation and should look right when posed. 



There is still more needed to finish off the thighs and the hip actuator, along with filling in the knee with details and armor. 





Looking at the general dimensions of the legs vs the overall height, as compared to the 90-ton Timberwolf Mkii, I think I'm fairly close on size.  It should come out just about right.





This is quite a challenging project, filled with all kinds of engineering hurdles and need for creative solutions.  Slow going, and it's driving me nuts, but I'm really enjoying it.






No comments: