Wednesday, July 23, 2014


Well, this is both incredibly frustrating and extremely satisfying, all at the same time.

I have been working on Project W somewhat, although I've hit a bit of a snag in the surface finishing.  The acetone works, but I don't like the look of what it leaves behind.  The sandpaper also works, but it is a ton of manual effort. I also don't like the way it leaves the surface and there are locations that are nearly impossible to reach.  I'm working on a possible dremel solution for the hidden spots, but I need to pick up a different mount for it, which can happen later this week.  For everything, the right tool.

So, while I work on figuring that out, I continued to work a bit here and there on Project A.  I have the mold rubber and casting plastic coming, so I'll be able to cast the foots.  The right and left shins are basically done except for scribing in the plate lines and detailing.  I started on the thighs tonight.  If the dimensions work out right, this thing should stand about 10 1/2 " at the shoulders, maybe a little bit more, and that should be just about right.

I'm working to follow the basic lines and layout of the MWO Atlas, but I'm leaving some room for creative license and "I just don't know how to do that .."  But, I'm trying to keep it as close to what I see in my mechLab as I can.  This is, as I mentioned, a very challenging project.  It's the first time I've tried to build something up from scratch, more than a kit-bash to get "something" and it's pushing some of my engineer buttons.  The dynamics of the joints, the layout and dimensions are interesting.  I find that I spend a lot of time sketching and looking at the thing from various angles, just to see what I have to work with.  At first, I was concerned that my measurements for the foot were off, but now that I'm seeing the way those base measurements are scaling up, I'm less worried. 

To be honest, it's frustrating, but more than that, it's pretty rewarding.  I'm seeing this thing come together in layers, piece by piece and it's really making me smile.  Every little success is one more challenge overcome and one more bit of encouragement to keep on going.  I *have* to be patient while I work it, and that's taking some effort.  I keep wanting to move to the next phase, and the next, and the next, but I have to work this thing in order, and take it step by step. 

Once I have the lower half worked up, I might just put a pic or two out for show. 

Until then, keepin' on, keepin' on.

No comments: